
I have to take a moment to rub Prince’s nose in the fact that I’ve already seen a preview performance of Berkeley Repertory Theatre’s stage adaptation of the Green Day album, American Idiot, and that I have tickets to see it again in October.
Having seen Jukebox Stories many times, I know how Green Day and American Idiot have a special place in Prince’s twisted heart. So I'm going to stab at that place and talk briefly about how good the show was. When I went, I didn’t really know what to expect. Being a big fan of the album myself, I was afraid they’d ruin it. Instead, they transform what’s already an incredibly theatrical work and turn it into a three-dimensional evening of sensory overload that will leave you buzzing with adrenaline well into the evening. I can only hope he’s made plans to come up and see it.
Now if Prince doesn’t already have tickets, he’s hopefully sitting in front of his computer right now reading this, consumed by a jealousy of epic proportions. He’s probably stroking Pork Chop, trying to calm himself, or, at least, we hope that’s what he’s stroking. To feed his all consuming fire some more, here's a news clip about opening night, featuring footage from the actual production:
Read my extended American Idiot review here.
[Alan Goy also blogs at Experiment Farm.]
0 Yorumlar