The weather in October can be so varied and this can have quite an effect in the garden. This month we have sunshine and high temperatures, rain and strong winds and twice this week have had a hard frost, luckily I managed to take these pictures the day before.
Leaves are falling
However some plants still think it is summer, such as this honeysuckle and rose.
The cutting border is still full of colour with cosmos, marigold and dahlias. I love this combination of colours at this time of year. My daughter always buys me some dahlia bulbs for my birthday in February, this one below has such a huge head, isn't it fantastic?
In the vegetable garden only one carrot came up, we accidentally let it go to seed, and look what happened! I have been picking these lovely flowers,combining them with flowers from the cutting patch. It has worked so well that I think I might do this again next year!
In the green house we have been picking the last tomatoes, cucumber and strawberries. The flavour is not so good as in the height of summer but still eating home grown summer vegetables at the end of October is so good.
How has your garden been this month? If you would like to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site.
Sarah x

0 Yorumlar